Anil Mihiripenna Biography In English
Birth Details –
Place – Sri Lanka
Date of Birth – 10 August 1933
Marital Status- Married
Wife – Soma Mihiripenna
Early Life –
- Sastripati Anil Mihiripenna was a Sri Lankan classical musician who played flute, esraj and Indian bamboo flute. He played in the North Indian tradition and was the first Sri Lankan to obtain degrees in both flute and esraj.
- Running his Shraddha Kala Niketanaya, he endeavored to teach, develop and popularize Indian classical music in Sri Lanka for the last forty years. Anil was married to Mrs. Soma Mihiripenna.
- He graduated from Visva-Bharati University in India, better known as Santiniketan. He was one of the most talented oriental musicians who played the flute and esraj.
- He took flute lessons from the great Esraj maestro Ashish Chandra Banerjee, flute lessons from Pandit Gaur Goswami and singing lessons from Pandit Jaimini Kantha Chakraborty.
- He has traveled extensively performing concerts in the United States, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and India several times. He was highly regarded as the leading flautist cum Esraj player in Sri Lanka who could enthrall anyone who listened to the music.
- He has composed music for many ballets, documentary films and feature films. He was a super grade artiste in Sri Lanka Broadcasting and Rupavahini Corporation. They have acknowledged him as an international artist.
- He was a visiting lecturer at the University of Kelaniya. He is the founder of Sharada Kala Niketanaya, an institution that promotes and popularizes Oriental classical music in Sri Lanka.
- He was awarded honorary citizenship by the Governor of the US state of Nebraska.
- The captivating tones emanating from his flute were ample testimony to his talent and experience in his chosen field. His compositions are played throughout the island by his students.
Other Information –
- Date of death-10 June 2017
Question Related to Anil Mihiripenna
When and where was Anil Mihiripenna born?
Anil Mihiripenna was born on 10 August 1933 in Sri Lanka.
What was the name of Anil Mihiripenna’s wife?
Anil Mihiripenna’s wife’s name was Soma Mihiripenna.
When did Anil Mihiripenna die?
Anil Mihiripenna died on 10 June 2017.